Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Chapter 23 - Return to Leoch

As we catch up with the tired couple at the Red Boar, Jamie considers options of where he might go now that he learned from Horrocks that it was indeed Randall who had shot the sergeant-major that he was accused of killing. Being able to prove it, though, was another thing entirely. Should he flee to France? America?
“You’re right,” he agreed, “we could go to France.” I started, having momentarily forgotten that whatever he decided to do, I was now included in the decision...."I might be able to go back to Lallybroch.” His face clouded, and I knew he was thinking of his sister. “For myself,” he said softly, “I wouldna go, but it isn’t only me anymore.” He looked down at me and smiled, his hand gently smoothing my hair. “I forget sometimes, that there’s you now, Sassenach,” he said.
I like how his circle of consideration had widened to now include Claire in his decision-making calculations. Even though she felt awful and traitorous for practically having abandoned him for the run she made trying to get back to Frank.
I felt extraordinarily uncomfortable. I felt like a traitor, in fact. Here he was, making plans that would affect his entire life, taking my comfort and safety into account, when I had been doing my best to abandon him completely, dragging him into substantial danger in the process. I had meant none of it, but the fact remained. Even now, I was thinking that I should try to talk him out of going to France, as that would carry me farther away from my own goal: the stone circle.
I especially like how the Duke of Sandringham has been weaved back in to the story as a potential noble who could potentially provide amnesty for the falsely accused Jaime.

Arriving back at the castle, the weary travelers are immediately met by the inqusitive inhabitants, and a forward Mrs. Fritz.
“Why, what’s the matter wi’ the poor child?” she demanded of Jamie. “Has she had an accident o’ some sort?” “No, it’s only she’s married me,” he said, “though if ye care to call it an accident, ye may.”
I hate it when I get accidentally married. Although, now back in the routines and associations of castle life, Claire's realizations about the stability of her newlywed status take an ominous turn.
We had grown very close in the month of our marriage, but I had felt that closeness crack under the strains of the last few days, and thought it might now shatter completely, back among the practical realities of life at Castle Leoch.
Claire's paranoia at the sight of Laoghaire spirals into a self-inflicted frenzy of emotion directed scattershot at Jamie when he returns to the room. Jamie, not knowing what to make of this odd turn of events, lashes out in anger...and passionate - uh, passion. He reveals he had not just married her for his share of the rents (as it was a paltry sum), yet provides the gift he had meant to give her all along: the wedding ring he had contracted for with Ewan the armorer.


Okay, just want to keep the record straight, they had been riding for two days with hardly a stop to make it back to Castle Leoch, and yet, here they are, arguing, increasing blood pressures, and then...well, increasing blood pressures some more. The sheer wildness of this passion drips with unrestrained emotion at the recent events they had both shared while on the road: the dangers and the adventures combine in one heated strain of loosing of all fleshly restraint.

All I can say at this point is, "Frank, buddy, I'm pretty sure you're screwed."



1 comment:

  1. This was one of the times I wanted to smack Claire myself! Extreme childish behavior! Then I had to remember, she fell through time, was forced to marry a (handsome young) Scot, just had her bum smacked good and reached the limits of brain sense by way of sheer and total exhaustion! I let her off the hook.

    ReplyDelete