Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Chapter 3 - The Man in the Wood

Okay, now we're cookin' with gas. Once this chapter is off and running, it just keeps going. From meeting new 18th century characters, to field dressing war wounds, to skirmishes, this chapter never slows pace.

Favorite quote:
"'I can handle a single redcoat wi' one hand -- maybe even two of them,' he said, a bit boastfully, 'but not three.'" - Jamie
I like how this shows that even Jamie understands his own limits. While he may not be humble, he is at least a realist.

Favorite scene:
As much as you might think my favorite scene might be Claire popping Jamie's shoulder back into place, or the skirmish with the English at Cocknammon Rock, I am actually amazed at how strikingly descriptive the portrayal is of the night scenery. The way the starlight (with no city lights to drown it out) colors and highlights all of the characters; how the half moon causes shadows to appear deceptively 3D as Claire tries to walk the road towards what she thinks is Inverness. I know I've experienced that same sensation myself walking down our long gravel driveway toward home at night where I grew up. In my opinion, this is the type of imagery that provides the liquid backdrop for the characters to perform in.

A sideways reference to St. Paul's stance on the silence of women demonstrates how Claire is a modern woman, not limited by the constraints of old dogmatism. When the men are shocked at her profanity, one of the men states how her husband should "tan her" for her swearing. Not only does she tell him "You can mind your own business," but she adds, "and so can St. Paul." This passage from 1 Cor. 14:34 is almost always quoted out of context, and this unnamed ruffian, as would be expected, follows suit. However, the point is well made, that Claire knows her mind and is not afraid to speak it. I know it's still early, but if I'm reading Claire right, in general I think I would tend to agree with her that pragmatism far outweighs a rigid and sterile orthodoxy based only on customs and traditions.

I'm still amazed at how quickly characters are being introduced, establishing the storyline early on. With this basic outline, it appears that Claire and Jamie are off on their first adventure. (Oh, wait...I guess it would be their second adventure, since they just had one...)

13 comments:

  1. I am thoroughly enjoying your perspective on the book and really appreciate the added details you bring to the scenes I know so well. I'm going to show my husband your blog - he's in the supportive husband category, hasn't read the books but humors my fascination with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! Maybe we'll organize a "supportive husbands" event at the next book signing! And if we're going to be stereotypical we might as well go all the way and drink scotch and smoke cigars...

      Delete
  2. This is so fun reading your thoughts on one of my favorite books! Can't wait to follow along with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caity! I appreciate your enthusiasm and support!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for doing this! Its a good review and always fun to get a different perspective. This should be fun. Still trying to convince my non-reader husband to at least try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! If your husband is a non-reader, these gigantic books can be intimidating, I'm sure. Maybe coax him on with bite-size pieces, or your favorite scenes.

      Delete
  4. Still with Amy as well in trying to get the hubs to read the books. Will happily show him your blog but he is a particularly stubborn case so who knows!!! I'm pretty sure you are reading Claire Just Right!! HAHA!! Let the action continue!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! If hubby reads the books, he may have you try something else that he likes, so you might want to think twice before pushing too hard! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying your comments! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I appreciate everyone like you who is commenting and encouraging me on! I'll do my best...

      Delete
  6. The startlight scene is also one of my favorite depictions in the book. I think of this one often, myself. I now visualize this in blinding 3D since I had a similar experience a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Shawna, did you go back in time, too? (Just kidding!) I hear a lot from other fans about how descriptive all of these scenes are; kind of a double-edged sword when it comes to the TV series and see how well they are able to capture the spirit of the writing...I guess time will tell. Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
    2. No, unfortunately or rather fortunately (depending on your perspective) I did not get sucked through a time vortex. I recently moved to the middle of nowhere and one late winter's night I stepped outside to add to the trash bin and was captivated by the umbrella of stars over my head. I did not communicate that well above, at all. LOL

      Delete