Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Chapter 8 - An Evening's Entertainment

This chapter opens a bit unexpectedly for me, as I was not sure how well Claire was going to take to the role of "healer" at the castle. But one of the early phrases, I think, captures it beautifully:
To take responsibility for the welfare of others made me feel less victimized by the whims of whatever impossible fate had brought me here...
Helping others is always the best way to get our eyes off of our own cares and worries. I thought this was just a great way of highlighting the resilient and pragmatic core of Claire's character.

Then we move to the hall for the entertainment gathering that evening, and I was introduced to a new wine term with which I, like Claire, was also not familiar:
...Rhenish, ye know. You’re not familiar with it?” I shook my head as he tipped the decanter over my goblet, filling the bowl with a pool of glowing rose. He held his own goblet by the stem, turning it before his face so that the firelight lit the contents with dashes of vermilion. 
According to the website Pull the Cork, "Rhenish wines are dry white wines from the Rhine river valley in Germany". Jamie explains the uniqueness of this specific wine to Claire:
“Aye, it’s good,” he said, handing the goblet back. “It’s also double strength. Colum takes it at night because his legs pain him."
Yes, please, I'll have another. Actually, for me, I'm more of a deep red Merlot or Cabernet fancier, and I certainly don't mind a hearty ale now and again. But I'm always open to try something new, especially if it's double strength. I always knew I could claim it for its "medicinal value". :)

The entertainment scene was also very interesting. The way the music is depicted, some in Gaelic and some in English, I could almost hear the strains of music over the words on the page. I also liked how Gwyllyn conveyed the legends and myths in the stories he told. It was great seeing the story of the Wee Folk came to life for Claire with unusual clarity and significance:
...women trapped in the rocks of fairy duns, traveling far and arriving exhausted, who knew not where they had been, nor how they had come there.
To me, that is just great storytelling, introducing us to the myths-that-could-be-true through the pairing of the previous story of Reverend Wakefield's with this legend of the Wee Folk. Many a good yarn have been spun from the legends of yore.

As they head back to Claire's room to change the dressing on Jamie's shoulder, I was unexpectedly struck with the unique perspective Jamie had about not wanting to Alec to see the scars on his back:
“But when you see it yourself, it’s like”—he hesitated, looking for words—“it’s a bit…personal, maybe, is what I mean. I think…if he were to see the scars, he couldna see me anymore without thinking of my back. And I’d be able to see him thinking of it, and that would make me remember it, and—” He broke off, shrugging.
I understand how this helps illustrate the uncaring attitude that people have historically held towards those who were physically handicapped in some way (still evident today, in many ways). However, while a very tender and emotional moment for Jamie and Claire (as she understood the depth of what he had been through), I couldn't help think that this was a bit out of character from a male perspective.

Most guys are usually pretty quick to share stories of their scars, and demonstrate a bit of bravado (even if false bravado). I would think it would make more sense if Alec had seen his back, and then made light of it along the lines of "Och, laddie, reminds me of the floggin' that auld MacGregor received back in '38. Redcoats havena bit o' mercy in them" (or something like that), that would deepen the antagonism toward the English. Then he would have secretly had a higher opinion of Jamie, knowing what he had been through, because he had never seen anything that bad, even with old MacGregor. The emotion conveyed would be the same, but in a slightly different vein.

I guess it all depends on which way the story needs highlighting, whether the distrust towards the English or the trust between Jamie and Claire (which is obviously what is conveyed here). But as Jamie even admits: "I daresay I’m too tender-minded about it, in any case." Obviously it was deeply personal for him, and it is a very touching scene allowing Claire into that personal sphere.

Then the mood is lightened as Claire explores the castle:
There was no one about for the moment, and I took the opportunity to explore the upper floors of the castle, poking into empty chambers and winding staircases, mapping the castle in my mind.
I was glad for this insight, as I would have been doing the same at my first opportunity. It shows my history-buff side, but what grander thrill than to explore an 18th-century castle at the height of its use and habitation! Of course, this is a device to have Claire find Jamie, um, detained in a prior engagement. This all makes for a bit of fun at the dinner table that evening:
“Your mouth looks a bit swollen, Jamie. Get thumped by a horse, did you?” I asked wickedly.
“Aye,” he answered, narrowing his eyes. “Swung its head when I wasna looking.” He spoke placidly, but I felt a large foot come down on top of mine under the table. It rested lightly at the moment, but the threat was explicit.
“Too bad; those fillies can be dangerous,” I said innocently.
This good-natured sparring is depicted masterfully, and just feels good after the depth of the preceding pages. It is also a little deeper insight into the perceptiveness of Old Alec, as he relates that what Jamie needs is a woman and not a girl.

Hmm...I wonder which woman he could possibly be talking about? :)

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Steve. I absolutely love reading your blog in the mornings with a good cuppa. I have read many Outlander Blogs and I don't think I have ever found one that has discussed each chapter. The fact that you are a man, makes this so much more enjoyable for me to read as I never have to worry about you swooning over Jamie LOL. Your focus is on the story. One of the disadvantages of doing it chapter by chapter before reading the whole books is opinions are formed before having read all the information. I supppose much like life, we form opinions before hearing both sides to a story. But at the same time being advantageous when watching those opinions change.
    I totally appreciate how much time this takes you, and without giving any spoilers I would really appreciate it if you could touch back on your opinion
    "However, while a very tender and emotional moment for Jamie and Claire (as she understood the depth of what he had been through), I couldn't help think that this was a bit out of character from a male perspective."
    after reading Chapter 22.
    Look forward to another enjoyable read tomorrow morning.
    Roclyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roclyn; nice to see you here, too, and not just Twitter!
      You're right about my opinions being formed early, but I'm hoping the benefit is that you all get to see how those opinions change as I imbibe more of the story.
      Yes, all of the comments I've gotten back in regard to my statement about Jamie's perspective being out of character have said the same thing...I will learn more later. But just like any relationship, you all are seeing me grow in these character relationships just like any other "real" relationship; we form opinions based on what we know (or think we know) about that individual. The difference here is that all of you reading my posts already know more about the characters than I do, so you have insights that have not been revealed to me yet. Fun for you all, but making me feel vulnerable and transparent. But hopefully, that's what keeps you reading the blog. :)
      I'd love to do a chapter a day, but I hope you can all appreciate that I do have a family and full-time work that somehow cannot be suspended while I run this little science experiment. I will do my best to post as regularly as I can, but I greatly appreciate all the support from Down Under!

      Delete
  2. In May my husband and I went on our trip of a lifetime to Scotland. My favorite part of the whole trip was the castles -- of many sizes, types and conditions (from walls standing alone in a field with no roof or interior to still-occupied castles). Of the 12 castles/palaces we visited, my favorite was full of hallways, passages, winding staircases, rooms of all sizes and walkways about the exterior. At one point a group of 4 of us got separated from the other 3 and, even after calling out (the castle was pretty much empty except for us 7) we couldn't figure out how to get to the floor where we thought they might be. That is how I imagine Castle Leod and Claire's explorations. This is the stuff of my childhood dreams, which is one of the reasons I fell in love with Outlander.

    I too am enjoying your POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome trip that must have been, Cheryl! I hope your husband enjoyed the history as much as you did, obviously with your Outlander perspective.
      I only visited a few castles when I was in England years and years ago. It was fascinating to me with just knowing that I was standing in a building that had been in existence since the mid-12th century; there was no roof or ceilings, but following the winding stairways and peeking out across the surrounding fields through the arrowslits was surreal.
      Thanks for your many contributions to this blog, and I hope you continue to enjoy the read!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it, Sherri! Thanks for checking in from time to time!

      Delete