Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Chapter 4 - I Come to the Castle

Clearly, everything I've heard about the descriptive narration is true: it's so vivid and lucid that the imagery of 18th century Scotland simply comes to life around the characters.

Favorite quotes:
I have several from this chapter that seemed to strike a chord with me in some fashion, beginning with the opening of the chapter:
"The rest of the journey passed uneventfully...at least we were not set upon by highwaymen, we encountered no wild beasts, and it didn't rain."
Yeah, you know you're having an uneventful day when none of those things happen.

Kinda reminds me of a quote from the animated movie "Chicken Run" (believe it or not). The chickens are penned up in a chicken pen that resembles a WWII prisoner of war camp, and are destined to be made into chicken pies. The ringleader chicken named Ginger is always trying to encourage them to escape and at one point tries to motivate them by shouting, "Listen, we either die free chickens, or we die trying to escape!" To this rallying cry, one of the the other chickens pipes up with the very reasonable request: "Are those the only choices?"

I guess for Jamie and Claire, not being attacked by highwaymen or wild beasts and not getting rained on really is reasonably uneventful, certainly compared to what they've been through already. If those are the only choices, then they are indeed having an uneventful journey the rest of the way.

Then Claire describes Jamie's appearance, as she tends to his wounds while he shares the story about his sister Jenny and Randall:
"...shirtless, scarred and blood-smeared, with stubbled cheeks and reddened eyelids from the long night ride, he looked thoroughly disreputable. And tired or not, he looked entirely capable of further mayhem, should the need arise."
To me, this is the timeless description of every woman's "bad boy." Whether he's a biker, or an ex-con, pirate, or some other ne'er-do-well, the gallant scrapper who is noble yet "capable of further mayhem, should the need arise" shouts to me of the protector that every woman dreams of. No wonder Jamie's so popular! I'll let your comments determine otherwise... ;)
"In older, more primitive times...it was an act of trust to sleep in the presence of another person. If the trust was mutual, simple sleep could bring you closer together than the joining of bodies."
I thought this was a great perspective on demonstrating how they are growing closer. And it makes sense, too, knowing that any number of (hazardous) things can happen while you are asleep. That very descriptive previous phrase: "to actually sleep with someone did give you this sense of intimacy, as though your dreams had flowed out of you to mingle with his and fold you both in a blanket of unconscious knowing." Wow. But I can tell you my wife has some crazy dreams, and I'm not sure I want those to mingle with mine!

This is my favorite description so far, as Claire is trying to describe what the castle looks like:
"It looked, in fact, like an eighteenth-century castle."
Ha! Every one of our mind's eyes filled in all the details; beautiful!

As Claire and Jamie are beginning to grow closer together, some questions are being posed in the narration almost as quickly as they come to my mind:

  • If this is really happening, what is her relationship with Frank? If he's not alive yet (in time), isn't that the same as being dead, leaving her a widow, as Jamie suggests? That's just a weird thought to me.
  • From Claire's perspective, what would Frank be doing when she turns up missing in 1945? What could he do?

I know these are the questions that have answers later on, and it must be hard for you to restrain the spoilers in the comments, but I'm trying to give you my perspective as it happens. I must say, I feel a bit transparent and exposed, but I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and support! Thanks!

19 comments:

  1. I don't inow how you stop at the end of each chapter to write your blog, lol. The book is such a page turner for me that I couldn't put it down that long! Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll continue to do my best, interruptions and all!

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying your appreciation of Diana's skills as a writer, which is the primary thing that draws us in, and keeps us coming back many times to reread and savor. Your perspective is very entertaining and I'll look forward to your view as you make your way through my favorite book of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, time traveler. Diana's writing is so descriptive and vivid, it's really hard to not be drawn in to the story. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. "capable of further mayhem, should the need arise" - By this point, Jamie has been injured twice (and patched up twice by Claire), and she has had evidence of physical ability and strength, especially as the second injury came in a separate incident of mayhem while he was still suffering greatly from the first. She's seen his capability in action and is just starting to get a sense of this young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Connie. For his time and circumstances, I'm sure mayhem of all sorts was just around the corner for Jamie, which provides the appeal in his character. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I am glad I stumbled upon your blog. As a blogger myself (although not as good as you), I appreciate all the time and effort you are putting into this review of Outlander. My husband is also a fan of the series, being introduced to Outlander on a long trip and continuing to listen to each book going to & from work each day. I've always wondered at his perspective, and you're doing a great job summarizing the male point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Cheryl! I also like to get a lot of "reading" done by audio. Again, let me hasten to emphasize that I really don't think I can speak for all men in my viewpoints, but I will definitely do my best to let everyone see what I personally think as I am reading through the book.

      Delete
  5. The situation with Frank drives much of Outlander. He was alive when Claire went back in time so to me she is not a widow. But this is a conundrum of time travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this whole married/not married, dead/alive thing is definitely a weird thought, Silver. I personally don't believe time travel is possible, but am suspending disbelief for the sake of the fiction. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the adventures. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Love the blog. As a veteran Outlander fan, I am enjoying the new perspective you are bringing to my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chemrat. I must say, it is a bit intimidating with all of the experienced readers out there, but it sure is a lot of fun. I hope you continue to enjoy the series!

      Delete
    2. I am sure I will, lol. I love introducing the books to people, then hearing their thoughts. I do always warn new readers that, in my opinion, these books are as addictive as crack cocaine and to beware.

      Delete
  7. So glad I found your blog. I love reading/hearing new perspectives about this series. I am fairly bias about these books as I love them so much but am open minded enough (most of the time ;) ) to recognize that others may have opinions that are different from mine. Looking forward to reading your thoughts as you continue reading Outlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Theresa. Yes, we all have our biases (except me, of course) :) I'm pretty sure I have a unique perspective, but glad to see you're keeping an open mind.

      Delete
  8. I have loved reading the first four installments of your blog and can't wait to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! This sure is a fun group of people to be associated with. I hope you continue to enjoy these posts.

      Delete
  9. One of my favorite quotes from this chapter "It [Castle Leoch] was considerably more picturesque now, what with the pigs rooting under the walls of the keep and the pervasive smell of raw sewage."

    No one can misinterpret that. And it makes me snicker every time I read it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Shawna. It can't get more straightforward than that. When I read that in the story, my mind pictured a very wet and muddy Ren fair with broken porta-johns; not a very enticing picture at all! (But I must say, at every Ren fair I have been to they always have really good roasted turkey legs). :)

      Delete