Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chapter 6 - Colum's Hall

The scenes in this chapter just drip with richness and character. The lavish setting of Colum's hall and banquet; the brutal "justice" that is meted out in this chamber; the meticulous description of 18th-century medicine; the castle gardens and stables; all of these relate distinct and varied aspects of 18th-century life. It's this richness and variety that, for me, makes the story come to life.

After the dinner in the banquet hall, Claire heads off to bed. To avoid the feeling of "entombment" within the stone walls, she pulls back the embroidered hanging from the window to let in the cool breeze.
"I slid under the quilts, blew out the candle, and fell asleep watching the slow rise of the moon."
That is vivid. In our home, we don't have the ability to see the moon from our bedroom window (too many trees), yet whenever we can see the moon in its phases, it is comforting to me. There's a regularity to its continuing cycle, it's never-ending multi-faceted shadowing as it circles our globe, pulling the tides and then relaxing it's grip again.

Many cultures look to a lunar-based calendar from time immemorial. I feel it's a shame that in our Western culture we look only to the sun as the basis of our annual timekeeping. Yes, it does make scientific sense since the sun is the most notable check-point of our ever-circling and spinning motions through space. While the ancients worshiped the sun as a god, it is interesting to me how in our day and age the moon is more of the religious icon, an emotional and spiritual partner, if you will, to the overpowering scientific constancy of the sun that adds the drama and depth to this continual celestial cycle.

Once Claire witnesses and begins to understand the meaning of Hall, "...it quickly became apparent that this was the regular occasion on which the laird of Castle Leoch dispensed justice...hearing cases and settling disputes." I enjoyed very much her description of the Gaelic proceedings:
"I had already noticed that the language involved considerable eye-rolling and foot-stamping for emphasis, making it difficult to judge the seriousness of a case by the demeanor of the participants."
And I thought that only happened at my management meetings at work. :) I actually chuckled at this description, as it is with me, being of Italian heritage, I tend to speak a lot with my hands. My wife has only narrowly escaped injury on occasion at dinner if she happens to sit on my knife-holding side!

The description of Mistress FitzGibbons "doctoring" Jamie after he received punishment for the girl Laoghaire was fascinating. I was reminded of the scene from the boxing movie "Rocky" (the original) when Stallone tells Mickey to cut him (on his eyebrow) after his eye swells shut. I suppose leeches would have served the same purpose to literally "bleed off" the pressure to keep the swelling down.

I also enjoyed the description of the castle's herb garden, and that Claire was put to work by Mrs. Fitz as she instructs Claire (and us) in the purpose of various plantings:
"Garlic keeps the wee bugs awa' from the other plants. Onions and yarrow will do the same. And pinch the dead marigold heads, but keep them, they're useful."
I am not much of a gardener, and am usually a very excellent plant executioner. But this scene reminded me of a large home garden we had when I was a wee lad m'self, and how we had marigolds planted around the perimeter, supposedly to help keep the rabbits away. The rabbits still found our carrots and cabbage, though, but it was fun to have those auld memories dusted off once more as I read that passage.

Just this week I had planted a small garden box for my daughter's seedlings she had started in school, but it was mercilessly pounded by storms that rolled through our area yesterday. I think it will be okay, but those little seedlings definitely got a rude awakening after being moved to their new outside home.

Our wee garden with its solitary cucumber and flattened pepper plants didna fare so weel
after the fair poundin' it sustained through the recent torrents o' rain and hail.
Questions from the storyline (again, these are rhetorical just to let you know what I'm thinking, not looking for spoilers):
  • Who was this Laoghaire whom Jamie defended so nobly, and is there really more to that story? He says, "I ken who she is, but I havena spoken to her", but he really took a beating...
  • What of the suspicions that Colum has regarding Jamie, since he is obviously of a different clan? Are those justified, and what is the history between the clans to cause that suspicion?

12 comments:

  1. It was indicated that Jamie would have taken a beating for any young girl. This is something I rather doubt. He had a crush on Laoghaire as you will see. Keep reading. There is more of her to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda figured, Silver. Jamie may have noble tendencies, but he's still a man, and sometimes there just might be a little bit more going on at the root of his actions.

      Delete
  2. I don't think he had a crush on her at all. He appreciated that she was a fair maiden, and was interested in some behind the curtain time, but I don't think he had any kind of a crush on her. Jaime explains why he did it; he was just saving her the humiliation that would have hung over her head for much longer than the pain of the beating that Jaime took for her.

    Thank you for this blog, Steve! I had wanted my husband to read these books, thinking he would enjoy them, but he never did. I am enjoying your fresh perspective on each chapter, and I look forward to re-experiencing this book "for the first time" with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, One Lazy Mom, for someone with the most awesomely down-to-earth screen name :) I hope that reading along will not only refresh your memories of your first read, but maybe I will be fortunate enough to share a previously hidden insight here or there along the way. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. One Lazy Mom, I may be old school but I hope that a man who makes out with a woman has a crush on her. Perhaps we define crush differently.

      Delete
  3. What I find interesting is you are speaking in Scots - lol - and by how your comments read someday maybe you should give this type of writing a go. Those of us that have read the books are tempted to answer your rhetorical questions......but bite our tongues we must! So refreshing to have the male take! BTW, it was my dad that got us reading these books when he found Drums at a garage sale, realized it was a series and not the first book and asked me to find them all ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, the Scots is just for a wee bit o' fun, lassie. :)
      THANK YOU for not answering my rhetorical questions; it's weird for me too, since I'm writing to an audience where everyone already knows the answers.
      Little did your dad know what he was getting into, I'm sure when he found that copy of Drums. Here's a little known fact: garage sales are statistically known to have started more book series than any other book outlet.
      (Actually I just made that up, but I stated it with confidence so that it would sound believable).
      :)

      Delete
    2. Lol ���� Good one! Yes, correct you are. Dad had no idea and at least 20 people have read this series because of his golden find!

      Delete
  4. I loved your notice of Claire taking comfort from watching the moon rise. I appreciate your observation of the lunar phases from your own personal standpoint and also concerning it's impact on our culture. Your description of the moon as an emotional and spiritual partner is something I very much connect with.

    Regarding Laoghaire ~ to me a crush is when someone really has it bad for someone, and in my opinion that's just not the case here. Jamie is a very principled man, and his reasons for everything will all come out later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear your comments, JoMarie, thanks. Through my very eclectic studies over the years, I have come to believe that our urban culture has masked many of the natural rhythms of nature (like the moon) and electric lighting has blocked out the stars, etc. These are universal standards that societies have used for storytelling and passing down cultural and religious information from generation to generation. They have guided and shaped our societies for thousands of years.
      Nowadays, we don't have those natural rhythms; we stay up late and watch TV (or blog!), and I believe we become disconnected from the fabric of a creation formed for our understanding and direction. This is why I enjoy knowing where the moon is in the sky and what phase it's in. Kind of an object lesson, a type of connection to our communal past.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Sherri -- that it's interesting that you throw in a bit of Scots. How are you mentally pronouncing the Gaelic names - specifically Laoghaire? I have heard it pronounced in several different ways, namely "Leg-hair," "Leery," and "Leer-ah."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my kids were younger, I very much enjoyed reading RL Stevenson's "Treasure Island" to them. The dialects are so heavy in that writing, that I always felt like a true pirate when I read it out loud to them :) Plus it's flat out just one of the best fiction adventure stories ever written. (From the very little bit that I know of her, I'm pretty sure even Diana would agree with that). I can't even begin to understand how Diana gets the dialogue to sound so genuine; it's definitely an aspect of the story that helps establish its authenticity.
      As far as the names go, I'm afraid I would have to defer to a much more valid authority than me; namely, Davina Porter and her audio recording. In that performance, she pronounces Laoghaire as "Lay-yair" with a slightly rolled "r" and the emphasis on the second syllable. Sounds good to me. Much better than the "Leg-hair" that you mention, as it appeared to a bumbling American like me, too, just reading it on the page. :)

      Delete