Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Chapter 7 - Davie Beaton's Closet

Since this whole adventure is just one big science experiment, I decided on this chapter to experiment with not only reading the chapter, but listening to it while reading it. I must say, Davina Porter's performance on the audio version is really stunning to me. Hearing the accents and pronunciation of obscure (to me) Scottish names, places and things increased not only my comprehension of the story (since I wasn't trying to figure out how things should be pronounced), but I'm finding my appreciation of the story increased as well.

One of the things I am really enjoying about the story is how Diana doesn't always explain what a term is, and leaves us to find out from context clues what it is. Things like "breeks" for britches; "kiss the iron" for (what I think relates to) honoring the pope (or converting to Catholicism); "theriac" for poison antidote. These little "treasure hunts" are the types of things that appeal to me, where the meaning is not right out there, but becomes evident if you apply yourself a bit.

I also appreciated the opportunity to take a break from everything new that Claire was experiencing and to get a glimpse into what she could remember about her time travel experience.
"I had tried repeatedly to think about everything that had happened to me since I stepped through the standing stone. But things moved so rapidly around this place that I had hardly had a moment to myself when I wasn't asleep. Apparently I had one now, though..."
I'm not sure why, but this little respite in the action was refreshing to me. The description of her recalled experience is very "Dr. Who"-ish, but we do glean a couple of other glimpses or snapshots of things that may or may not come to pass in the story: what were the terrifying images she "had fought away from" during the maelstrom of the time-passage; had she really "fought toward others?"

When she brings Jamie his lunch out at the horse fields again, he recounts the story of why he was a wanted man, and how it is all a case of mistaken identity for the murder of the sergeant-major who had flogged him. But he adds enticingly:
"Though had it been Captain Randall, I expect I'd ha' made the effort."
The way Black Jack keeps coming up in the story, the scene is definitely being set for what I can only assume will be the ongoing antagonism between the characters as the story unfolds. His physical likeness to Frank; the fact that he is the moral antithesis of her husband; he's the bane of our hero Jamie, and a well-reputed enemy of the Castle Leoch; yes, it is a masterfully applied interweaving of delicious villainy.

Obviously, since my wife has read all of the books, and I have been exposed to everything Outlander since Seattle, I knew Jamie's last name was not MacTavish. While it wasn't the whole explanation, it was nice to have that back-story explained a bit in this chapter, as well.

As Claire drifts off to sleep in the afternoon sun while Jamie and Old Alec talk horses, Claire recounts:
"Oddly contented and drowsy, I pushed away all thoughts of Colum's suspicions, my own predicament, and other disturbing ideas. 'Sufficient unto the day,' I thought sleepily, picking up the biblical quotation from some recess of memory."
Interesting usage of this biblical quotation from Matthew 6:34, the full text of which reads: "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." The context of this saying comes on the heels of God's provision for those who "seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things [food, drink, clothing] shall be added unto you."

The psychology of picking and choosing bible verses for our own edification (and not entirely in its full context) is a natural human tendency that fascinates me. I have been guilty of that very thing myself from time to time. It seems that in a time of crisis, the mind seeks to make sense of unusual things and events, to find solace with the known in the midst of upheaval; so it is here with Claire pulling a comforting slice of scripture from "some recess of memory".

As she makes her way back to the castle, Claire considers the shape of the scar on Jamie's head that he had showed her while recounting his tale of woe:
"It wasn't a straight line, as might be made by an English broadsword. The wound was curved, as though made by a blade with a definite bend. A blade like a Lochaber ax? But so far as I knew, the murderous axes...were...carried only by clansmen..."
Hmm. Not sure exactly how Claire would have known a detail like that, unless I missed it earlier in the story. But it is an interesting twist to the shroud of mystery surrounding Jamie's past.

The detailed descriptions of all of the late-medieval medical tools and potions made for some interesting reading at the last part of the chapter. All I have to say after reading that is, "Thank God for modern medicine and indoor plumbing." :)

17 comments:

  1. I laughed at your comment about Dr. Who. Not too sure if you are aware that DG found inspiration from an old episode of a Dr. Who show when she started considering writing a novel. It was basically just the image of a Scottish man in a kilt - but still an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, Theresa, I seem to recall Diana talked briefly about that during her keynote in Seattle. Wow, if Doctor Who + Scottish man in a kilt = numerous NYT Bestsellers, what do you suppose could be done with a different mash-up of unlike things?
      Hmm, perhaps some savvy readers out there could suggest some unusual mash-ups and see if we can squeeze at least a short story out? Anyone game?

      Delete
  2. My favorite form of reading the Outlander books is via Davina Porter, but it takes much longer than if I sit & read a hard cover book -- probably because I scan/speed read, whereas I savor every word in the audio books. I think I would find it quite tedious to listen & read along at the same time. My "mind's eye" works a lot better listening. I applaud your speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I think that's why my comprehension improved so much, because I also tend to scan-read. When I'm listening, I'm forced to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n, and, as you say, "savor every word". It also helps because Davina is a very talented voice actress; not just anyone can pull off a good dramatic narration.
      But I guess it's a personal taste, thing, also. My wife says she has tried the audio, but she was so far into the series before she tried it, she had established "mental voices" for the characters in her head already, and the audio became foreign to what she was used to. For me, I'm still getting to know the characters, so I've got nothing to lose. :)

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying reading about your impressions of each chapter. Even though I just listened to Outlander again, I am considering reading from the written version so I can pick my own favorite quotes to see if they are similar to yours. Thanks for making one of my favorite books fresh and new again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! (I accidentally posted this as a comment below rather than a reply to you, sorry!)
      My point is that I've come to the conclusion that I'm not just reading a book, I think I've joined some sort of secret society! So far, no one's offered me any Kool-aid (although there was wine after the book signing...)

      Delete
    2. Lol - kook-aid! I love it! You have joined a society that's for sure, but we like to spread the word how wonderful these books are.

      Delete
  4. I listened to all the books twice before I read them, so I already had the pronunciation of the Gaelic words in my mind (or at least Davina Porter's version of them). I loved listening to them, since I too am a scan-reader. I decided to read them about a year ago in anticipation of the 8th book coming out, and then began listening to Echo in the Bone several weeks ago to refresh my mind before beginning the new one. I have about 90 minutes left and am now trying to decide whether to read or listen first. Such a conflict - and as my daughter would mockingly say "first world problems."

    Once again - thanks for this blog. I eagerly await every post and am loving seeing the story through your eyes and words. I've picked up at least some new morsel of content or historical context from each chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still amazed, Cheryl, at how many people have not only read, but are re-reading the series over and over! I know it's a good story, but it's not like these are small books that you can knock out in a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon. From a volume standpoint, it's like reading War and Peace, all of the collected works of Shakespeare, The Lord of the Rings series (including The Hobbit) and the Bible (thrown in just for good measure) OVER and OVER. What I really want to know is...how much wine is involved in all of this???
      :)
      I'm glad everyone enjoys the series so much. It sure is fun to see a whole other world that I've never been exposed to. And I'm not even talking about the book, but all of the fans!
      Glad you're enjoying the blog; I sure am enjoying everyone's comments. Thanks for keeping it lively!

      Delete
    2. I had only read the books through once until last summer. Since then I have read the books once on my kindle all the way through, listening to them now on audible for the first time (I am on FC right now) and now rereading the actual paper books again. I read MOBY on my kindle and will do a reread of it again soon....probably after I finish Voyager because I loved Voyager so much. I know my husband will never read these books but he does put up with me so I can't complain. I love reading your blog and I too am Italian and talk with my hands so your line about the knife and talking really made me chuckle!! Keep writing aye lad?

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Marie! You're right, there are so many ways to read books in our current technology cycle, and each one has its unique feel and benefits. What I like about the e-readers while reading Outlander is that if I run across a term or word I'm not familiar with (which happens more often than I like to think with Diana's penchant for historical accuracy), I can instantly look it up without being distracted from the story, or having to go look it up later.
      As far as talking with my hands goes, my mom used to make me sit on my hands at the dinner table if I was talking to much; it worked, and it kept me quiet!
      I'd like to keep writing as long as people keep reading. Thanks for your encouragement, much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you Steve - Davina is amazing! I started reading the series in '94, and only late last fall started going through the audio version of all the books in anticipation of MOBY. I timed it perfectly (somehow!) and ended Echo on June 9th. Quickly re-read A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows and was ready for MOBY, which I had pre-ordered in both audio and ebook versions (and will probably order hard cover as well). This latest book I am listening to for the first "read" - and I am loving it. You really do slow down and savor the audio version. On my re-read of MOBY I will probably do the ebook, and see what I pick up!

    Really enjoying your comments - keep up the good work! Hope you're enjoying the series as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, Maquis, not only the book, but all of the dedicated fans like yourself who are leaving comments here are amazing! I'm truly blown away by how loyal Diana's fans are; she has created not only an interesting "universe" of characters, but she has created a unique fan base of some of the most diverse and encouraging people I have ever had the pleasure of being acquainted with.
      I certainly hope to keep commenting on the rest of the book, and from there, who knows? :)

      Delete
  6. I hope that you have not heard too much about the book from your wife. Don't want to spoil the surprises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take no thought for it, Mistress Ana. Aye, most of what me wife says goes in one ear and oot the other...
      :)

      Delete
  7. Love your description, "masterfully applied interweaving of delicious villainy." Diana does a masterful job of interweaving story lines throughout the series. I'm always amazed to discover the intricacies of her writing and wonder how she manages to keep it all straight in her mind.
    My first read of all the books has been in hard cover but I have enjoyed many rereads over the years via the amazing Davina Porter and often find myself drawn back to the books like connecting with old friends. If you draw some conclusion to this phenomenon for the similarly afflicted, I'd love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, time traveler.
      You know what bugs me, though, is that anything I've read about how Diana writes her stories is like she doesn't really plan a whole bunch of it out; she just kind of lets it grow organically, and then pulls it all back together at the end. That's just crazy talk to someone like me who would try to sketch out a whole plot and scene "map" to make sure I don't lose my way. (Hmm..I guess it's no wonder I haven't written a best-selling novel then, isn't it)? "Too much over-thinking; just let the characters tell the story," I'm sure she would say, or something like that.
      And I agree with you: Books are Friends. That needs to be a bumpersticker.
      :)

      Delete